Press coverage to date
- San Jose Inside 1/17/20: Morgan Hill Supports Amah Mutsun Tribe, Opposes Proposed Sargent Ranch Gravel Mine
- Morgan Hill Times 1/16/20: Council supports tribe, opposes mine proposal
- CBS News (KPIX) 1/16/20: Tribe Asks Morgan Hill to Oppose Sand Mine on Sacred Land
- KQED FM 1/16/20: 1-minute live radio segment re: Morgan Hill Juristac resolution
- ABC7 News 1/15/20: Morgan Hill throws support behind tribal band in effort to preserve sacred land in South Bay
- Santa Cruz Good Times 12/31/19: Silicon Valley Construction Boom Threatens Local Tribal Land
- San Jose Inside 11/28/19: Fight over Proposed Sargent Ranch Quarry is Shaping Up to be Silicon Valley’s Standing Rock
- Hollister Free Lance 11/7/19: Environmental report on proposing mining operation at Sargent Ranch expected soon
- Aptos Times 10/18/19: Walking to Renew the Sacred
- Benitolink 9/15/19: Community walks for Juristac
- NBC Bay Area 7/10/19: Battle Brewing Over Native American Land in Gilroy
- CBS News (KPIX) 7/10/19: Massive Santa Clara County Sand Mine Project Opposed By Native American Tribe
- Mercury News 7/9/19: “This is definitely a local Standing Rock”: Sargent Ranch
- Santa Cruz Sentinel 6/30/2019: Battle for Sargent Ranch to heat up
- San Jose Spotlight 3/23/2019: Native tribe opposes Sargent Ranch quarry project on sacred land
- Santa Cruz Sentinel 1/11/2019: Amah Mutsun Tribal Band hopes to protect sacred land from development
- Morgan Hill Life Op-ed 6/1/2018: Amah Mutsun vow to fight Gilroy’s Sargent Ranch quarry project
- City on a Hill Press 10/5/2017: Sacred Site Slated for Development— Amah Mutsun oppose proposed gravel mine
- BenitoLink 12/11/2016: Citing cultural degradation and religious desecration, local tribe opposes mining project
- San Jose Inside 11/30/2016: Proposed Gravel Mine Would Violate Sacred Ground
- Gilroy Dispatch 11/4/2016: Local Native American Mining Battle Brewing
- SV Business Journal 1/27/2016: After foreclosure, new plan for 6,400-acre Sargent Ranch south of Gilroy
- Chairman Lopez speaks at United Nations about Juristac 4/17/18 – 3:30 min, YouTube
- Juristac: A short film by Ariel Bobbett — 4 minutes, 2018. Available via YouTube and Facebook.
- Petition to Protect Juristac (PDF) — for in-person outreach and tabling. Designed to be printed on 8.5×11 paper at 100% size, for use with a clipboard.
- Simple outreach flyer — for printing in color or black and white.
Tribal resolutions and statements
- 4/12/2018 Press Release: Amah Mutsun Tribal Chairman Speaks at United Nations to Call for Protection of Tribal Sacred Site from Surface Mining Proposal
- Amah Mutsun Tribal Band Resolution No. 03-2016 opposing the Sargent Quarry Project on Unique Ancestral Tribal Lands at Juristac
- 10/31/16 Press Release: Amah Mutsun Tribal Band Opposes Sargent Ranch Quarry Project near Gilroy, California
- Sargent Quarry Project— Request for Tribal Consultation – filed in October 2016 with County of Santa Clara
- Notice of Preparation of an EIR for the Sargent Quarry Project (7/21/2016)
- Sargent Quarry Mining and Reclamation Plan (11/7/2015)
- County of Santa Clara, Board of Supervisors 1/23/18 Board Referral: Direct Administration to work with interested conservation partners and property owners to explore the opportunity to acquire the property or easements to conserve all or some of the 6,500 acres that comprise the property commonly known as Sargent Ranch. (Approved unanimously)
- Biotic Evaluation for Sargent Ranch Quarry by Live Oak Associates (3/12/2015)
- Geotechnical Slope Stability Analysis Report for Sargent Ranch Quarry Site (12/10/2015)
- Sargent Quarry Promotional Slideshow by Freeman & Associates (2016)
- Santa Clara Dept. of Planning and Development webpage for Sargent Quarry project
- Santa Clara County Surface Mining and Reclamation Act (SMARA) info
Regional Conservation and Habitat Planning
- Committee for Green Foothills: Advocating for Wildlife Corridors at Sargent Ranch (Juristac)
- Santa Clara County Conservation Greenprint (Sargent Hills are a Conservation Focus Area)
- Final Santa Clara Valley Habitat Plan
- Bay Area Critical Linkages Project
- America’s Most Endangered Rivers of 2006 (PDF report) – the Pajaro River, on p. 13, is listed as the #1 most endangered river.
Sargent Quarry and Sargent Ranch promotional websites
Amah Mutsun Tribal Band
- Amah Mutsun Land Trust website
- Amah Mutsun Tribal Band website
- The Case of California’s Amah Mutsun by E. Richard Hart, published in the journal Western Legal History, 2003 — a scholarly review of the legal history of the dispossession of Mutsun people from their ancestral lands, with a focus on the case of Rancho Juristac (Sargent Ranch).
- Video: Here and Now— by Bay Area Open Space Council, 2015. 18 minutes. Documents the work of the Amah Mutsun Land Trust and Tribal Stewardship Corps.
- Video: Excavating the past; Improving the future— by UC Berkeley, 2018. 4 minutes. Portrays ongoing collaboration between the Amah Mutsun Tribal Band and UC Berkeley archaeologists and anthropologists.
- Video: UMUNHUM by Plus M Productions, 2017. 11 minutes.